Summer ROCKS 2023
Summer ROCKS registration will open on March 1! Our popular all-day recreation program is held from June 13 to August 18 (7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.) at the Fridley Middle School.
Kids who are currently in grades K-6 (for the 2022-23 school year) will have a variety of fun opportunities to participate in each week, including: classes, special events, field trips and outdoor adventures. See Sample 2022 ROCKS Daily Schedule & Weekly Activity Schedule for details.
Save the date—spots fill up quickly!
Payment plans are available, as well as scholarships to Fridley residents who qualify.
The following documents are PDFs.
- Download our 2022 Summer ROCKS brochure with class descriptions (PDF)
- Download our 2022 Summer ROCKS Parent Handbook (PDF)
- Download our 2022 Fridley Parks & Rec COVID-19 Waiver (PDF)
What your day at ROCKS looks like:
7:30 - 8:20 a.m.: Arrival & Hang-out
- During this time participants can play games, read a book, watch a cartoon or work on an art project with the ROCKS staff.
8:30 a.m. – Noon: Morning Instructional ROCKS Classes
- Participants will participate in classes ranging from sports/games, arts & crafts, science/nature, and enrichment.
Noon - 1 p.m.: Lunch & Recess at Commons Park
- Children will bring their own lunch and eat at the picnic tables or on the grass at Commons Park and then have time to play on the playground.
1- 4:30 p.m.: Afternoon Programs
- Playground Program (Gr. K-3) at Commons Park
- We'll spend the afternoon outdoors enjoying theme-based activities including games, stories and crafts
- Chill Zone (Gr. 4-6) at the Middle School & Commons Park:
- The afternoon will be filled with games, projects and adventure.
4:30 - 5: p.m. Pick-up
- Participants will return to the Fridley Middle School for pick-up.
Wednesday Field Trips & Special Events
- Throughout the summer, we'll have a variety of special events, visitors, entertainment and field trips on Wednesday afternoons.
Weekly Open Swim
- Once a week, we will attend open swim at the Fridley Middle School pool.
2022 Weekly Activity Schedule - 2023 Schedule TBD
|Morning Classes||Class 1||Class 2||Class 3||Wednesday Event|
|Week 1: |
|Games Galore||Clay and Sculpture||Recycling Challenge||No Special Event|
|Week 2: |
|Ninja Camp||Painting||Plant Projects||Outdoor Adventure School|
|Week 3: |
|Soccer||Food Art||Robotic Builders||Sky Zone Trampoline Park|
|Week 4: |
|Baseball/T-ball & Kickball||Bead and Tape Creations||Passport to Adventure||No Special Event|
|Week 5: |
|Build It!||Zumba Kids||Art and Nature||Wet & Wild Water Party|
|Week 6: |
|Floor Hockey||Wearable Art||Crazy Concoctions||Como Zoo & Como Town|
|Week 7: |
|Basketball||Drawing & Paper Projects||Space Explorers||Bunker Beach Water Park|
|Week 8: |
|Newspaper Club||Lacrosse||Slimy, Squishy, Sticky||Nickel Jamboree|
|Martial Arts & Light Sabers! ||Make a Music Video||All About Animals||Jolly Pops Concert|
|Week 10: |
|Track & Field||Photography & Scrapbooking||Intro to Coding with Superheroes|
Cascade Bay Water Park
Playground Program K-3
- It’s time to play! This is a recreational program designed to involve children in a variety of activities, which will promote the development of friendships, good sportsmanship, coordination, motivation and creativity! Each week a new theme will be presented with games, stories, crafts and imagination to provide a well-rounded experience for your child.
Chill Program 4-6
- This is a great place to meet new friends and hang out! We’ll enjoy all that summer has to offer in this program that is full of fun and adventure. Activities will include sports, crafts, games, swimming, billiards, foosball, air hockey, video games and more! Participants will have the opportunity to share their interests with the group and help to plan the schedule of activities as well.
Open Swim K - 6
- Once a week children will be able to participate in open swim at the Fridley Middle School pool. This time allows the opportunity for young swimmers to practice their skills, or just play and have fun.
How to Register
Registration will open in March of 2023. If you have any questions, please call us at 763-572-3570.
Frequently Asked Questions...
1. Do I have to register for the entire 10 week program?
No! You can register for as little as one week and as much as 10! We recommend registering for all 10 weeks, since it's going to be so much fun!
2. Can I pay for the program on a weekly basis?
Yes! We require that you pay for the first week in full, then any other weeks your child is enrolled in may be part of our payment plan, where that week’s registration fees are due the Monday before camp starts. The online system will automatically enroll and charge your card on the specified date when you choose the “Summer ROCKS 2023” payment plan during the online check out.
3. How do I register?
Registration can be completed online, over the phone or in-person. You will need to register each child for each week that they will be coming to ROCKS. For example, your child will be enrolled in weeks one, three and six of summer ROCKS. You will need to choose week one, three, and six of your child’s age (ex. week #1, grades 2-3) to complete registration. Each week will be a separate registration. If you have any problems, feel free to call us and we’re happy to help!
4. Are there scholarships available?
Yes, fee assistance is available to Fridley residents who meet the MN School District Free or Reduced Lunch Program guidelines. Call the Recreation office at 763-572-3570 for more information.
5. What is the deadline to register for summer ROCKS?
Registration closes one week prior to the week your child will be attending.
6. What will happen to my registration if the program is full?
If the program is full you will be informed that your child has been added to a waiting list. Participants will be added to the program on a first come first serve basis if space becomes available. There is no charge for your child to be on waiting list.
7. If my plans change after I have registered, can I cancel and get a refund if I prepaid?
Yes, refunds will be issued up until one week prior to your scheduled week.
8. Can I drop off my child before 7:30 a.m. if I am comfortable leaving them alone?
No, it is the policy of the facility that all children on the property must be supervised by an adult.
9. Can I pick my child up earlier than 5p.m.?
Yes, you may pick up your child anytime throughout the day. Please check the activity schedule so you know if they are at the Fridley Middle School or Commons Park. It is also required for you to sign your child out with Recreation staff.
10. What if I’m late to pick my child?
It is expected that all children are picked up by 5 p.m. A late fee of $5 per child in increments of 5 minutes past the assigned pick-up time will be charged.
11. What ages can participate in ROCKS?
ROCKS is for kids who are in grades K-6 for the 2022-23 school year. Unfortunately, kids who are five years old but are not in kindergarten are not eligible for the program.