Following the federal census every 10 years, all 50 states begin the process of redistricting. The Minnesota State Legislature is responsible for redistricting Minnesota's congressional districts, Minnesota Senate and House districts and Metropolitan Council districts. Once complete, the City of Fridley is responsible for redrawing its election districts to reestablish ward and precinct boundaries.

Redistricting at the city level must be complete by March 29, 2022. New ward and precinct boundaries will be in effect for the State Primary on August 9, 2022.

Updates to the City's redistricting process will be added to this page.

Why Redistrict?

As cities develop and change, the populations in their various election districts may become unbalanced. Redistricting is the process of redrawing the boundaries of election districts with the goal of providing equal community representation.

City Redistricting Responsibilities

City governments must reestablish all precincts after the State has finalized its redistricting plan. Cities have the option to reconfirm existing precinct boundaries, or they may choose to rewrite, or realign precincts for various reasons. Cities with wards must redistrict ward boundaries to ensure compliance with ward population equality and other legal requirements.

Defining Wards and Precincts

Wards are portions of a city represented by a specific elected official on the City Council and must be as equal in population as possible. Approximately 70 cities in Minnesota elect councilmembers by ward, including Fridley. Composed of a Mayor and four councilmembers, the Fridley City Council includes one member-at-large, while the other three are elected from the City's three wards. 

Different from wards, precincts are geographical areas used for elections – and help determine where a resident votes, and who and what is on a voter's ballot. Votes are tallied and reported by precincts throughout the country.


If you have any questions about the City's redistricting process, please contact the City Clerk's Office at, or (763) 572-3523.