Finding Your Fun in Fridley
Current Project Status
Fridley community members have been telling us our city parks need help. The City of Fridley listened. Starting in 2019, the City undertook a community-driven comprehensive park system planning process known as “Finding Your Fun in Fridley.” The process included community workshops and online feedback to help the City understand what improvements our community would like in the City parks system. Learn more about the planning process and past workshops in the Additional Information section.
Draft Concepts Available
The City used the community’s ideas and feedback to draft concept designs for each Fridley park. The draft park concept designs will be available until April 30 for feedback from the community. You can give feedback online or by reaching out to City staff, City Council and Commission members. Your ideas and feedback will help us refine the final set of preferred parks designs later this year.
How Can I Submit Feedback?
You can help Fridley’s Park System by submitting your ideas and feedback through an interactive parks map . The interactive parks map was developed as a method for the community to view existing park maps and amenities, to review the parks concept plans, and submit their ideas and feedback. Select the “Submit Feedback” button below and you will find the concept plans with a corresponding survey under each individual park tab for both Community and Neighborhood/Special Use Parks.
- Under each individual park tab button for both Neighborhood & Special Use Parks, and Community Parks, scroll down and select the “Park Concept Plan” to review the draft improvement plans. Some parks have one concept plan, others may have two.
- Below the Park Concept Plan button will be a “Park Survey” Button. Select this to provide comments back to us on what you like or dislike.
How To Submit Feedback - Video Demo
View a full project overview, read about the results from the past workshops, learn about next steps as well as how you can get more involved in the planning process.
Starting in 2019, the City undertook a community-driven comprehensive park system planning process known as “Finding Your Fun in Fridley.” The outcome of this process was a planning document that will guide the city with identified priorities for park improvements and investments to ensure the city has a balanced and equitable park system that meets the needs of the community.
The park system plan process has included the following:
- Development of a Project Goal Statement
- "Fridley’s park system will increase the wellbeing of our community by providing people of all ages and abilities with opportunities for active living, social connections, wellness, and nature."
- Feedback and data gathering through Social Pinpoint Pin map, community survey, and City’s Comprehensive Plan
- Four Community Workshops (See Past Workshops Tab)
- Parks & amenities inventory and assessment
Here's What the Community Said
The Fridley community values our neighborhood and community parks but want to see meaningful improvements and updates. Key community themes and action steps that were identified included:
- Improved Playground & Amenities
- Gathering Spaces
- Year-Round Use & Connectivity
- Unique Amenities & Experiences
The City of Fridley is now undertaking the next steps in achieving the community goals and objectives established in the planning process, which is developing an implementation plan, determining priorities, and identifying potential funding mechanisms.
To subscribe to email notifications for the Parks System plan, visit our Fridley For You News & Updates page and enter your email. If you are already subscribed to the Fridley For You e-newsletter, you do not need to sign up again.
Interested in Getting Involved? Become a Fridley Parks Champion!
Community members passionate about Fridley parks are encouraged to become Fridley Park Champions and help advocate for the future of our Fridley parks. As a Fridley Parks Champion, you should have a strong interest in the Fridley Parks Plan and are willing to share your voice in the community, online/social media, and ask questions. Our Fridley parks need your help. Let’s work together to build a better parks system!
Things You Can Do:
- Talk to your neighbors, and your Fridley friends and family about Fridley parks. Tell them to share their ideas and feedback for Fridley parks.
- Get on the phone! Call your neighbors, friends, and family in Fridley.
- Get social! Share your Fridley Parks story on social media. Share some of your favorite Fridley parks memories and what you want to see in Fridley parks with the community.
- Commit to talking to at least 5 people in Fridley about the Parks System Plan.
- Show up for your favorite Fridley Parks at the Fridley Town Hall! Attend the June 5 Town Hall to show your support and advocate for Fridley Parks.
- Adopt-A-Fridley Park. Learn more about the Fridley Adopt-A-Park program at FridleyMN.gov/AdoptAPark.
If you are interested in becoming a Fridley Parks Champion and getting involved to support the Fridley Parks System Plan, please contact Alyssa Kruzel, Community Engagement Specialist, at Alyssa.Kruzel@FridleyMN.gov or 763-572-3579.
What Happens Next in the Planning Process?
City of Fridley staff, City Council and Commission members will incorporate your ideas and feedback into the final set of parks designs later this year. Your feedback will be used to continue to help determine park improvement and investment priorities. Your feedback will also be considered as the community identifies potential funding mechanisms for park improvements and investments.
Past Workshop Resources