- Waste & Recycling
- Organics Collection
Curbside Organics Collection Now Available!
Reduce the waste you send to the landfill and your carbon footprint!
Sign up this summer and receive vouchers for three bags of compost to be redeemed at the Columbia Heights Recycling Center.
Organics Sign Up
fill out this form to sign up for weekly curbside organics collection
We already recycle our plastic, aluminum and cardboard at home, because it makes sense environmentally and economically. Now, it’s possible to save our food waste from the landfill, too! Rather than throwing away your food scraps, collect them for transformation into a useful product- compost! With the Organics Collection Program, organics are collected by Republic Services and sent to a commercial composting facility for processing into high-grade compost for use in gardening, agriculture, and construction. Check out this video by Biz Recycling, a program of the Ramsey/Washington Recycling & Energy Board to learn about the process.
Organic material makes up approximately 30% of our waste. While organics breakdown quickly in commercial composting facilities, organics and compostable products don’t breakdown in landfills, because there isn’t enough oxygen. It’s easy to reduce your waste by collecting organics for commercial composting.
This is a voluntary program offered to Fridley residents in households of up to 4 dwelling units through Republic Services. Buildings with more than 4 units are not currently eligible. For those who sign up, it will cost $10.98/month, billed every 90 days directly by the service provider, Republic Services. This cost includes weekly curbside collection, a free 32-gallon organics collection cart, and a free kitchen pail and compostable bags.
Allowed in Organics Collection Cart
- All food including bones and fruit pits
- Unpackaged condiments
- Certified compostable plates, cups and utensils and compostable bags (BPI certified)
- Paper napkins, towels and tissues
- Pizza boxes
- Paper egg cartons
- Other uncoated, non-recyclable paper products
- Cotton balls and cotton swabs without chemicals
- Wood chop sticks, popsicle sticks and toothpicks
- Floral trimmings and house plants
- Animal and human hair and nail clippings
- Stickers on produce
- Metal of any kind
- Aluminum foil
- Twist ties
- Glass of any kind
- Styrofoam products
- Coated paper products which are not BPI certified
- Fast food wrappers and boxes
- Paper boats
- Beverage cups
- Milk, juice and other beverage cartons
- Candy wrappers
- Chip bags
- Condiment packets
- Animal waste
- Diapers, diaper wipes, sanitary products
- Grease and oil